Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The art of Art!

How many of you love drawing, sketching and painting? Or perhaps even doodling? You might have fleshed out those wonderful creations in your notebooks (when you thought your teacher wasn't looking) or even your desks, walls and anything which looked remotely like a canvas (hopefully you haven't stumbled across stranger things). If you aren't interested in doing it yourself, you would have surely admired works done by great painters in the world. The beauty and creativity in their imagination spread out on the canvas is a feast for the eyes. Vibrant colours and beautiful scenes can have a very big impression on our mind as we finally get the message which the artist wanted to deliver.

I like drawing, painting and doodling in my free time. However, I'm still a rookie at painting stuff and I'm currently hopeless at light sources which means that those wonderful shadow effects and shading stuff will have to wait. I grew up teaching myself about drawing in the form of Outline Drawing. Which is to say, I never ventured into the area of shading until college or so probably because I didn't know how to do it properly or I wasn't aware of that at that time. I believe that immense concentration is the key to drawing properly in any situation as I have found that it has helped me a lot to improve myself and I haven't taken any training. For those who believe me, hello there! For those who don't let's test it out!

Take a sheet of paper and a pencil or a pen. Now without focusing much, draw a straight line. Yup just a straight line. And oh don't try to make it look smooth just give a feeble attempt. Now, next to it draw another line but this time devote all of your mind to it, concentrate and focus on it and try to make it look as smooth as possible. Once you're done, take a good look at your work. You will usually find that the second time you had a better result than the first one. That's all there is to it! Drawing doesn't require any sort of special skill nor does it require you to be a born prodigy. All it requires is your concentration which is present in every single person in the world.
Oh sure, you would argue against me saying that one just cannot become a Da Vinci or a Raja Ravi Varma. That part is true. However, it's partly misleading as well. You cannot become a great painter by hoping to become one, but rather you CAN become a great painter by willing yourself to become one. Start drawing something, anything and try your best to make it look similar to the picture in your mind. You might start off with a wonderful sketch or a half decent sketch, but for one who perseveres, the end result is the same: the ability to paint wonderful pictures.

I'm not a famous painter nor am I very good at creating art but the above stuff has come from my personal experience (Remember the part where I said I never took any training).
So what are you waiting for? All you need right now is a big heart full of inspiration and fingers itching to sketch the next masterpiece in the world! Get drawing and remember: Stay away from those who call you drawers! While you're at it, I'll get back to my current dilemma: What do I draw next? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment